If you dream of taking care of your own garden but are hesitant because of a lack of space, there might be a solution for you. Vertical gardening is a popular new trend that can help you fill your home with gorgeous plants all while maintaining valuable space.
- 3 (4-inch) terra-cotta pots
- 3 square pieces of wood (at least 3 inches larger than the pots)
- Power drill
- ⅜-inch drill bit
- Paint/wood stain
- Metal ring
- Coffee filters
- Terra-cotta saucer
- Put one of the pots upside down in the center of one of the wood squares, and lightly trace a circle around the mouth of the pot. In the middle of the circle, measure out and draw a circle that is about ¼ inch smaller, and cut it out using the jigsaw. Repeat with a second wood square.
- Use the ⅜-inch drill bit to make holes in each corner of the wood squares (about 1 inch from the edge) and then sand down the wood to prevent splintering. Paint or stain the squares to whatever shade you’d like, and allow to dry. Repeat steps with the rest of the wood pieces.
- Cut out four pieces of rope at equal length, and begin stringing it through the holes you drilled in the wood. Be sure to tie a tight knot after each new piece of wood, about 10–12 inches apart. When you get to the bottom square, tie a larger knot underneath the wood square to secure.
- To hang, pull the top of the rope through a metal ring, and secure with a knot. You can add floral wire to the knot as well for reinforcement.
- When adding the plants, take note to put a saucer under the bottom pot to prevent water from dripping. Add coffee filters to the bottom of all other pots to allow water to come through.
- Place the plants in each pot, and hang as a beautiful decoration.
Potential Indoor Plants
Peperomia: large, waxy leaves in a yellow-greenish hue with red outline
Herbs: fresh basil, thyme, rosemary
Philodendron: small, heart-shaped leaves that drape downward
Spider plant: long, hanging leaves that grow and replant easily
If you have any questions about your real estate goals feel free to give me call/text at 254-276-3551 or schedule a consultation today.
Dominique "Dom" McShan, REALTOR® is an investor, real estate consultant, entreprenuer, and marketing professional that empowers individuals through education and advocacy. Dom is a Louisiana native, Army spouse and Texas transplant, serving the Central Texas real estate market—specializing in Waco, Temple, and Killeen, Texas. He leverages 9+ years of marketing and education experience to advocate, represent and educate clients through their real estate and business endeavors.
Have questions about selling? Investing? Relocation? Texas living? Let's chat!